Gum disease is also called gingivitis. This disease, which is caused by the buildup of plaque and bacteria on the teeth and under the gums, can cause the loss of permanent teeth in its advanced stages. Some factors that will increase your risk of developing gingivitis include:
- Not practicing proper dental hygiene and not getting regular professional teeth cleanings
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Having a history of gum disease in your family
- Having a weakened immune system
- Eating a diet that is low in vitamins and minerals or high in sugars
Many people do not realize that they have gum disease because it is often painless. However, if you notice any of the following signs, Dr. Matt Pierce or Dr. Jim Heck may suggest treatments for gum disease in Greenwood, Indiana:
- Gums that are swollen, red and sore
- Gums that bleed easily when you brush and floss
- Receding gums
- Persistent bad breath
- Pus coming from your gums
- A change in your bite
- Loose permanent teeth
Our dentists may recommend that you schedule extra professional tooth cleanings. If this is not enough, they may recommend a deep cleaning procedure called scaling and root planning.
Feel free to contact White River Family Dental and Implant Center today, at 317-881-4726 to learn more and to schedule your next appointment.